About gift aid

Header image with the words 'About gift aid, all you need to know'

If you are a UK taxpayer we can collect an extra 25% on top of your donation at absolutely no cost to you. This makes a huge difference to our income, so please do sign a gift aid declaration if you are eligible. By signing the declaration you are confirming the following:

  • I am a UK taxpayer and I wish Raise (West Hertfordshire Hospitals Charity) to claim Gift Aid at no extra cost to myself on all the donations I’ve made to the charity over the past four years and all donations I make in the future until I notify you otherwise. I understand that if I pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all my donations in that tax year it is my responsibility to pay any difference. I also confirm:
  • I am donating my own money and the funds have not come from anyone else including family members or from an office or bucket collection
  • The money I am donating is not the proceeds from sales of goods or services or the sale of tickets
  • I have not received something in return for this donation such as an entry ticket to an event or a raffle ticket
  • I understand that the tax reclaimed will be used to help fund the whole of Raise’s work.

If you have any questions about gift aid please see the FAQs below, or contact us at the office via 07435 802862 or westherts.raise@nhs.net. We’d be happy to help.

What is Gift Aid?
Gift Aid is a Government scheme that allows you to increase the value of your gift by a total of 25% without costing you any extra, meaning a gift from you of £10 will be worth £12.50 to Raise – West Hertfordshire Hospitals Charity. To qualify for Gift Aid, you need to pay sufficient income and/or capital gains tax in the tax year of the donation to cover the Gift Aid that all charities that you donate to in that year will reclaim. The current amount is 25p on top of every £1 you give.

How do I know if my donations are eligible for Gift Aid?
You are eligible for Gift Aid if you are a UK tax payer, i.e. if you can say yes to any of the options below:
• You pay UK income tax on paid employment
• You pay tax on a UK private pension scheme
• You pay tax on UK savings
• You have recently paid UK capital gains tax on the sale of a property or shares – or expect to pay it in the near future
• You pay UK tax on Self Assessment
And you pay enough tax in the tax year of your donation to cover the additional 25% that will be reclaimed by all of the charities that you have donated to in that tax year. For example, if you make total donations of £100 in a tax year, you must have paid £25 in tax to be eligible for Gift Aid on all of the donations.

Can I still make donations if I haven’t paid sufficient tax to cover the Gift Aid?
Yes, but Raise will not be able to reclaim Gift Aid on those donations.

What types of donations are eligible for Gift Aid?
To be eligible, the donation must be from your own money. But provided you pay UK tax, one-off and regular giving donations are both eligible for Gift Aid. Regarding CAF donations, please see the below.

What if I donate via CAF?
CAF donations are not eligible for Gift Aid but any other gifts you may have made or make in future will be. We will not claim anything on your CAF donations, but by completing the declaration form it will ensure that any other eligible gifts you make are covered.

What if I am a pensioner?
You might still pay tax on a private pension scheme or a savings account, or pay capital gains tax if you sell property or shares. The amount of tax you have paid needs to be more than the amount that all charities you have donated to will be reclaiming each year.

What if I am a higher rate tax payer?
We can only reclaim tax on your gift at the basic rate. If you are a higher rate tax payer, you can claim the difference between the higher rate of 40% and the basic rate of 20% in your Self Assessment tax return. Additionally, on your Self Assessment form you can nominate us to receive all or part of any tax repayment due to you.

What if I change my mind or I am no longer paying tax?
Simply contact us on 07435 802862 or westherts.raise@nhs.net, so we can update our records.

Once I make the declaration, will I have to keep making them in future?
No. One declaration can cover all the gifts you have made to WHHC in the last four years, as well as any gifts you make in the future.

Do I have to give a minimum donation to Raise to declare Gift Aid?
No. Gift Aid can be applied to all donations, large and small, provided your tax contributions for the year are at least equal to the amount reclaimed by all charities you have donated to. (25p on every £1 you give).

Will I have to tell my local tax office?
No. Just fill in your personal details, sign, tick and date the form and we will do the rest.

Where can I find more information?
You can find out more about Gift Aid by visiting the HM Revenue and Customs website
www.hmrc.gov.uk or by calling the HMRC helpline on 0845 302 0203
(open from 8.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday).
If you require any further information, please call
the West Hertfordshire Hospitals Charity office
on 07435 802862 or email westherts.raise@nhs.net

Scroll to Top