The support we receive from the community is very important to patient care at Watford General, Hemel Hempstead and St Albans City hospitals. People from all walks of life, including hospital staff, patients and their families, businesses, schools and members of the general public can support our three great hospitals by organising or taking part in a wide variety of fundraising activities. Money raised helps to transform patients’ lives, over and above what would be achievable with NHS funding alone.
We would love to hear from you if you are planning an event or are interested in fundraising for our hospitals. We are here to support you with hints and tips to make your fundraising go smoothly. Please see our fundraising guidelines (downloads as a PDF) for all you need to know.
Things to think about
- Where do you want your money to go – a specific Raise appeal or our General Fund?
- What kind of event do you want to organise? (see our A-Z of ideas below to inspire you)
- Take a look at the fundraising guidelines and contact us if you have any queries
- Go go go – it’s time to organise the event! We can give guidance if you need it
- Spread the word! Create a JustGiving page, use social media, tell everyone, and write press releases
- Then its time to collect the money (using JustGiving means this takes care of itself)
- For money collected elsewhere, there are a few ways to get it to us, ask us for details
- After all your hard work (and fun!) you can relax after a job well done
- Take pride in knowing that you’re helping to transform patients’ lives
An A-Z of fundraising ideas
- Auction of promises – Sell your friends’ and family’s time and skills!
- Bag packing – Ask your local supermarket. It’s a great way to help the local community while supporting us too
- Cake sale – Release your inner Mary Berry and bake your way to fundraising success. Everyone loves cake!
- Darts match – Get your eye on the bulls-eye, organise a pub darts challenge in your community
- Ebay sale – Collect lots of previously-loved items and sell them for your favourite hospital
- Fancy dress Friday – Go crazy with your workmates and get sponsored to dress up …. the choice is yours!
- Give it up! – Get sponsored to go without coffee, chocolate, or wine and maybe donate the money you save!
- Halloween – Have a Halloween theme party and charge your guests to come along!
- Individual donation – Simply give a one-off or a regular donation.
- Jewellery making – If you’re creative, why not put on a ‘make-your-own’ craft session?
- Karaoke – Love it or hate it, karaoke nights are a great way to raise money. Ask your local pub if they can help
- Leap year – Donate an hour or a whole day of your salary on this once-every-four-years opportunity
- Marathon – Sign up to a full or half marathon and get as many people as possible to sponsor you
- Non-uniform day – Encourage school to abandon the blazer and tie for a day in return for donations
- Obstacle course – Have fun doing an obstacle course, challenge your friends and get sponsored too
- Pub quiz – The ideal fundraiser for businesses and other organisations. Everybody loves a quiz!
- Quit smoking – Get sponsored to stop once and for all! You’ll be helping yourself as well as our patients
- Raffles – Get friends and family or local businesses to donate prizes, and raffle them off to raise money
- Skydiving – How brave do you feel? Despite the fear factor, skydives are very popular fundraising activities!
- Talent show – Get friends, family and colleagues together for a talent show and raise money through ticket sales
- Underwear day – Wear underwear over your clothes for the day and get colleagues to sponsor you
- Vintage tea party – dust down the tiered cake plate and the teapot! Who doesn’t love a posh afternoon tea?
- Walk for Wards – Supporting a specific area of the hospitals? Organise a sponsored walk or join an arranged one
- X-Box extravaganza – Challenge your mates to pay to enter a thrilling video game marathon
- Yard sale – Clear out unwanted items from house and garage? Set up a stall and donate the proceeds!
- Zumbathon – Can you feel the rhythm? Get sponsored, while getting fit with friends