Up to 1,000 frail, older patients are rushed into our trauma wards every year following a fall or fracture. Many will have serious head injuries and the majority will need significant orthopaedic intervention.
Many of these patients arrive by ambulance and have not been able to pack an overnight bag of essentials. They arrive without nightwear, and without anything to keep them occupied. Many do not have family or friends who can help. Around a quarter have dementia or are experiencing some form of delirium.
We’ve created the TLC Appeal to bring comfort to these patients who may well be disorientated, anxious and lonely.
Small kindnesses can go a long way and staff on the elderly care wards have created a list of items and services which would improve the experience of our older patients. These include, for example:
- Pyjamas – these provide a greater level of comfort than hospital gowns. This is particularly important for patients who have to stay in for a few days
- Dementia-friendly clocks – these greatly improve the independence of people who are prone to forgetfulness, or who have impaired memory
- Activity packs – including mindfulness colouring and puzzle books to help to keep minds active while bodies heal
- Hearing enhancers – for patients rushed in without their hearing aids. These enhancers help them communicate not only with doctors and nurses, but with patients around them.
- Foot stools – these help make chairs more comfortable for patients whose feet don’t reach the floor
- Portable DAB radios – to entertain patients and enable them to keep up with what’s happening in the world.
- Welfare bags – for patients who arrive without self care basics. We have talented sewers in the community kindly making fabric bags, but we desperately need basic toiletry supplies. (See below)
How you can help
Thank you for supporting our TLC appeal to make hospital a more comfortable experience for our older, frail patients. There are a number of ways you can help:
- Make a donation – please see the donation form at the bottom of this page. We can then respond quickly when staff tell us what patients need.
- Donate toiletries – we’re looking for soap, soap dishes, toothbrushes and toothpaste, deodorant, denture cleaner (such as Sterident), flannels, razors and shaving foam, hair brushes and hand cream. Please can these all be new and unopened.
- Tell your colleagues, family and friends – would you consider running a toiletry drive at work or with your family and friends, collaborating together to help fill our welfare bags?
Make a donation to our TLC Appeal today (this form may take a moment to load)
Will you show our frail, older patients that someone is thinking of them by making a donation today? Thank you.